Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day #1 Vancouver - Toronto - Hartford

So today was the first day of summer travel 2011 and it was a pleasant day in transit. Early morning departure from YVR and a little additional stress from huge road delays and traffic detours. Dad and I arrived at the airport with plenty of time and I got checked in without any trouble.

Jenn and I stopped for a quick breakfast at Monks, great sourdough toast and then onto the gate. I realized that I haven't flown via Toronto in a very long time and the planes through Phoenix (that I've been on most recently) are so much smaller than the 767 we flew on today. We got settled in for the flight and enjoyed the individual screens in the headrests. Two TV episodes and a movie and a short nap later we arrived in Toronto.

Now the last time I flew through Toronto was likely about 10 years ago. And it might be another 10 years before I decide to make US connection through Toronto again. It was so disorganized and inefficient. However, with about 10 minutes to spare we were able to get through the lines and inspections and down to our gate. As we walk further and further, it seems like we are heading out into the middle of nowhere. Gate 270 was as far as we could go and with 7 other passengers we boarded our little plane for Hartford. It reminded me of the plane to Barra in Scotland... only we were in Toronto and these were cities.

The flight to Hartford was so smooth, I slept the whole way. I woke as my ears were depressurizing and got to see the New England countryside. It looked so beautiful and I'm looking forward to our road trip in a couple of weeks. !


The Hartford airport was a delight. The fastest I have ever gotten my bags and got out. The hotel shuttle came to get us and we got checked in. I do love Holiday Inn... the service here in East Windsor has been superb! The shuttle took us to an local Italian restuarant, Sophia's, for an amazing dinner. I felt guilty leaving so much food, but the portion was huge. The shuttle came back and picked us up and tucked in for the night. Good night from the East

No comments:

Post a Comment